Holy Baptism is the basis of the whole Christian life, the gateway to life in the Spirit (vitae spiritualis ianua), and the door which gives access to the other sacraments. Through Baptism we are freed from sin and reborn as sons of God; we become members of Christ, are incorporated into the Church and made sharers in her mission: “Baptism is the sacrament of regeneration through water in the word.” –CCC
Parents should contact Denise Pressley at least 8 weeks prior to the desired date of Baptism and are required to attend the Baptismal Preparation Class. Classes are held in the Church on Saturdays, by appointment only. Both parents are encouraged to attend. The chosen Godparents must complete the Godparent Eligibility form to be Sponsors of Baptism. At least one of the Godparents chosen must be Catholic. Parents must be registered parishioners of St. Anastasia.
Those seeking Baptism for their child should be registered and actively practicing in the faith by attendance at Mass and participation in the life of the parish for at least six (6) months. If you are seeking to have your child baptized at another parish, the guidelines above still apply.
If you are from another parish, you are required to obtain a letter from your home parish allowing the Baptism to take place outside of your parish.
Role of a Godparent – At baptism, a godparent represents the expanded spiritual family of the child being baptized. A godparent is expected to serve as a role model for the person being baptized and be present for the child as they grow in their faith.
· The godparent must be at least 16 years of age.
· The godparent must have celebrated the sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation and Eucharist.
· The godparent should be living a life consistent with the faith through regular attendance at church and following the teachings of the Catholic faith.
· The godparent must be able to supply a letter or eligibility form from the parish in which they are registered.
Þ A baptized Christian of another faith may act as a Christian witness if there is a Catholic godparent.
· Persons seeking to be a godparent must be active members of the parish for a minimum of 6 months and meet the above requirements.
For more information on scheduling baptisms, baptism preparation classes or godparent requirements contact Denise Pressley. 904-471-5364 X112 or firstname.lastname@example.org To download a copy of the above guidelines, CLICK HERE
For information on Adult Baptism or Baptism for children 7 years of age or older, please see information regarding RCIA (the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults)