About Our Church St. Anastasia Catholic Church’s present church was dedicated on Sept. 26, 1999 by John J. Snyder, Bishop of St. Augustine. The church area is 26,000 sq. ft. with a seating capacity of 1,569. The design of our new church reflects the Spanish heritage of St. Augustine with its coquina exterior, Spanish tile roofs and the decorative stone facings. The liturgical design incorporates changes promulgated after Vatican II. A 57 ft. high bell tower graces the church and may be seen from miles away. The bell tower and (carillon) is one of approximately 200 in the USA. The carillon evolved in the 16th Century in Europe; the first was in stalled in the USA at the University of Notre Dame in 1856. A Time Capsule is located in the Altar Platform to be opened in the Year 2049 and contains local community and church memorabilia since 1985. The round rose window above the Tabernacle depicts the Resurrection. “Anastasis” in Greek means resurrection. Learn more about our Patron Saint in the link “Anastasia the Saint.” The Angel window between the altar and the tabernacle chapel is of beveled glass and reflects light rays of the morning sun throughout the church. Other statistics include: Church property consists of 57 acres NEW! The 22,000 square foot – St. Enda of Aran Formation Center Each Columbarium has 320 memorial places There are 835 parking spaces (28 handicapped) Inside the church there are 36 chandeliers, 22 stained glass windows in the Nave, San Antonio Room, Gift Shop and Our Lady’s Chapel; and 44 clerestory stained glass windows Words and statistics cannot do justice to the magnificence and beauty of St. Anastasia Catholic Church. A visit to St. Augustine is not complete without a visit to our island place of worship. Visit us. You are always welcome! About Our Patron Saint According to legend, St Anastasia, daughter of Praetextatus, a noble Roman, was a native of Sirmium, Pannonia, a Roman city in what is now Yugoslavia. After the death of her husband, Publius, a pagan, she traveled to Aquileia to minister to the Christians suffering persecution during the reign of the Emperor Diocletian. She herself suffered martyrdom when on December 25 she was beheaded (some legends say burned) on the island of Palmaria where she had gone to visit the faithful. Legend also has it that her body was later transferred to Constantinople and interred in a church which had previously been known as “Anastasis” (Greek for “Resurrection.”) The cult of St. Anastasia was introduced into Rome by means of an already existing and famous church, known as “Titulus Anastasiae.” Located in the Palatine in the area where the Imperial Court sat, an increase of devotion to St. Anastasia took place in the second half of the fifth century. At that time the Basilica became known as “Titulus Sanctae Anastasiae” with Anastasia as its titular saint. St. Anastasia has the distinction unique in the Roman liturgy of having a special commemoration in the second Mass on Christmas Day. Also, toward the end of the fifth century, her name was inserted in the Roman Canon of the Mass. *Anastasia Island is named after St. Anastasia according to information from the Historic St. Augustine Preservation Board. A 1737 map by Spanish engineer Arradondo labels the island “Santa Anastasia.” Despite speculation and rumor, the island was not named for the elusive daughter of the last czar of Russia. It was called St. Anastasia Island long before her birth. The Feast Day of St. Anastasia is December 25.